Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gospel Lk 21:5-11

While some people were speaking about
how the temple was adorned with costly stones and votive offerings,
Jesus said, "All that you see here?
the days will come when there will not be left
a stone upon another stone that will not be thrown down."

Then they asked him,
"Teacher, when will this happen?
And what sign will there be when all these things are about to happen?"
He answered,
"See that you not be deceived,
for many will come in my name, saying,
"I am he," and "The time has come."
Do not follow them!
When you hear of wars and insurrections,
do not be terrified; for such things must happen first,
but it will not immediately be the end."

"Do not be terrified." Jesus tells me this over and over and in him there is such joy and peace. He is the strong quiet center.

Somedays are filled with turmoil and one thing after another. A friends illness, an accident, something traumatic at work and it seems like things all pile up at once so I feel that I am in the midst of a storm. I know what it means not to be able to pray. My thoughts go to God but they're empty and all I can manage is "help". Yet this has value. God loves when I turn to him even if I have no words, barely even formed thoughts. His is the heart that loves so many and yet is loved by so few. What love I can offer to him pleases him greatly. My suffering has value when I offer it to him. I am still learning how to do this. I didn't understand this about suffering until quite recently. Now that I understand it I have to remember it.

Walking about my daily life being mindful of God and how my life only makes sense in light of him. I often stray off the path that leads me to him. I am learning, but sometimes I'm so discouraged with myself. And that's a trick of the evil one. Part of the great lie. That I am unworthy of forgiveness and love. Jesus I trust in you. Your mercy saves me from myself.I ask for the grace to remember that this day.